Sunday, August 10, 2008

Chocolate Zucchini Cake



½ C. soft margarine
½ C. vegetable oil
1¾ C. sugar
2 whole eggs
1 t. vanilla
½ C. sour milk (or ½ C. milk with 2+ drops of lemon juice)
2 – 1oz. chocolate squares, melted
2½ C. flour
½ t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
½ t. cinnamon
½ t. cloves
2 C. finely diced or shredded zucchini – discard the rough skin and seeds
6 oz. chocolate chips

Cream margarine, oil and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, sour milk and beat with mixer. Add melted baking chocolate. Mix dry ingredients and add them to the creamed mixture. Beat with mixer. Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips. Pour batter into greased and floured 9x12x2 pan. Sprinkle with more chocolate chips, if desired. Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes (or longer). Test with toothpick.

notes: I don't have cloves, so I just added some extra cinnamon; and I always double the vanilla in any recipe. When I make it again (in a few minutes) I think I'll cut the chocolate chips in half -- I don't care for them and I don't think they're "necessary." I didn't tell my kids about the "Z" word and they all liked it. Laurel ate even though she knew the secret. I got this recipe from Sandii.

No comments: