Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Foolproof Wheat Bread

Makes 4 loaves.

Put 3 Tablespoons yeast in 1/2 cup pretty warm water, and mix. Set aside.
In a large bread bowl, put 4-1/2 cups hot tap water. I used my 5-qt Kitchenaid mixer, but see the notes below.
Add 7 cups wheat flour and mix well.
Add 2/3 cups oil and 2/3 cups honey, mix well. I used canola oil.
Add the yeast mixture, mix well.
Add enough flour until it's hard to stir. I added 4 cups white flour, and then it became too much for my mixer. I took the bowl off, and added 2 more cups by hand-mixing, but it was still quite sticky.
Put about 1-2 cups flour on a very large flat surface (a table works well).
Dump out the soft dough on the table.
Mix in the flour by hand by kneading. As the flour is worked in, add another cup at a time until you have put in about 4-5 more cups. Dough should be a little sticky. I ended up adding 3 cups flour.
Shape into 4 loaves, put into pans that have been well-greased.
Put in the cold oven, and set the timer for 30 minutes. Check to see if dough is "bread" shaped. If not, allow more time for rising.
Turn on the oven to 350ºF and set the timer for 30 more minutes. If using stoneware pans, add 10 minutes.
If you like the tops more browned, add a small amount of butter to the tops and bake 5 more minutes or so.
Take out of the oven, let set for about 5 minutes. Take out of pans and place on a cooling rack. Cover with a clean dishtowel. This bread is delicious warm!

I got this recipe from a lady in my ward.

2 comments:

The Dillon 6 said...

it almost makes me want to make it.

but i get free bread.

so maybe it's not worth the effort?

but, OH, how the house would smell so YUMMY!!!

The Royals said...

Glad your house didn'tburn down, Julie. Thanks for the recipe.